Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Long before and after.

I started painting the Gypsy after finishing the Super Chief. I didn't use iron on covering like I always do as I had some heat shrinkable covering that needs to be painted. It applies like silkspan paper but with a little heat it shrinks pretty tight. I used Poly Crylic instead of dope to adhere the stuff to the plane. I weighed it before and after and it only gained an ounce. I did a little repair work but not an ounce worth.
  We went to the park this morning and the gate was still locked. It's supposed to open at 0700. I think the new propellers are causing problems with my Nomad and wanted to fly it with the APC that I swapped out. No chance so we came home.
I found a picture of the Gypsy loaded into the pickup for the trip from Moosup to Denham Springs in Dec. 2015. It got a rub mark on the cowl in front of the canopy on the trip. It was in pretty raggedy shape and in need of refinishing. Using iron on covering again with the flaps and elevators attached is very hard to do and that's why I used the other stuff and paint. I had a slightly smaller Gypsy decal left over from the kit.


No comments: