Sunday, July 21, 2019

What the heck, why not??

I flew the Nomad 2 with the engine set back and it flies a lot better. More like Nomad 5 now. Not much to do with the temperature in the 90's so I figured Nomad 1 is still in original condition so why not shorten it's nose too. When I built this one it was the first, hence the number 1, and it flew very well as it was. By the time I got to number 5 I had made some changes that worked. Shorter nose and more stab/elev area. I had enlarged the tail on all the others with good results and brought the others noses in line with number 5. Number 1 was the last one to get the nose job. I had located the engine 1/8 inch forward of the fuselage so I could use a recessed spinner, it's all I had at the time. I removed the engine and used the rear engine mounting holes in the fuselage to fit the engines front mounting holes effectively moving the engine back 3/4 inch. I marked the cut and the band saw did it's job nicely. I reinstalled the engine and marked the spinner outline and carved and sanded the nose to blend into the spinner. Some paint and some cutting of the fuel tank recess and it's ready to go again. I had to move the leadouts back a bit just like number 2's. It's raining now and I have a date at the V.A. in the morning so a short test flight may be possible later in the morning or I'll have to wait until Tuesday. The temperature was only in the low 80's when I got home from the V.A. I loaded up the Nomad and headed to the park for a quick flight. The grass is growing fast and the plane barely made it off the ground. It does fly better than it did. It already flew very well but the corners have improved noticeably. It's still steady in level flight. It started to rain as the fuel was running out so I didn't get a chance to test it more. I'm happy with it.

No comments: