Monday, July 29, 2019

Again and again.

A year ago or so I scratch built a Twister model plane. I had had one all the while I was flying r/c. When I left the r/c scene I flew the Twister until I crashed it. It helped me make some progress in learning the secrets to making a control line plane fly properly. I built another at some point and wrecked that one too. Anyway I built another from plans then I won a kit at a raffle a few weeks later. Now I have two flying.I didn't pay too much attention to how they flew and only took one out when I felt like it. One of them was powered by a .40 size engine. I took that one and with the knowledge gained from the Nomads I added a strip of balsa to the elevators increasing the area. At the field this morning I flew it and it flew very well compared to how it flew before. I kept speeding the engine up but the flight speed didn't increase that much and speed keeps the plane out on the lines. At home I remembered that I had extra .46 size engines of the same brand and they are bolt in swaps. I swapped it out and ran the engine to set the needle for flying. Then I figured why not do the same thing to the other one? The engine on that one is the same brand but not a bolt in swap like the first. I got the engine in place and marked the mounting bolt holes and drilled them. I tapped threads into the wood and bolted the engine in place. Then I added strips of wood to the elevators just like the first. I ran that engine and set the needle so it will start easy when at the field. I hope to fly them tomorrow some time.

No comments: