Thursday, June 26, 2008

A day to paint



When I saw the weather report I knew it was time to paint the El Camino. I got out at 0600 and started to sand the body. The rust inhibitor was really a rust fertilizer and it took 4 hours to get it all off. And I didn't have to do the hood or fenders. I had bought 2 quarts of epoxy primer and mixed 2:1 with the hardener gave me 3 quarts of paint. I didn't have all the parts to my pressure regulator so I partially closed the shutoff on the hose to reduce the pressure. It must have worked. I got one coat from each can of paint so I had the exact amount needed for the job. During the touch up at the end I managed to spray myself in the face making a mess of my glasses. I had to use thinner to clean them and Palmolive dish soap to clean me. I left the car to dry overnight and have to put all the stuff back on for the trip to Groton for a windshield and exhaust system. And a radiator, someone put a sheet metal screw in a hole. It works with the cap on loose.

1 comment:

Perry Rose said...

Looking mighty good!