Monday, June 9, 2008

Mice and hot weather.

June 6 was raining here. And getting warmer which made driving tough as the windshield kept fogging up. Turning on the heater/defroster produced a rattle then nothing. Driving at 65 should produce enough airflow through the system to clear the windshield but it didn't. When I got home I checked out the system and found a blown fuse. Then I took the blower motor out and found the reason for the blown fuse and poor air flow. A mouse nest completely filled the cage fan and most of the heater box. I had the shop vac. and sucked the family into it along with the soccer ball size nest. I replaced the fuse and everything worked again. I checked the engine compartment and the trunk. Nothing else was there. On June 8 I looked at the engine and there was another nest on top of the manifold. I got two boxes of mothballs and some poison and spread it around the garage inside and out. I put some balls under the hood and in the insulation the mouse chewed up for the nests. This happened last year too. With gas prices so high I have reduced the use of the car so the mice take over.I hope to make their lives miserable.
The weather turned hot and tropical humid in a day. The cement floor in the garage was still cold and condensed the air into water under the cars. I started the hot rod and got it outside and washed it and put a fan in the stall to circulate air under the car. The last time I saw it rain under a vehicle like this it was in Panama after landing. The fuel in the C-130 wings condensed the air and it rained under the wings. The fuel was way below freezing because we flew at 24000 feet from Florida.
I had planned to have the El Camino finished by the time the heat came this summer. But because of the various back ordered parts I lost almost three months time. Now that the heat is here the back orders have been shipped and are due here today. Mid 80's with a dew point to match. It looks like I'll be able to send it to the muffler shop, front end alignment shop, windshield shop, and radiator shop in a couple weeks. And the tire shop. All this will be taken care of by my son-in-law.

No comments: