Sunday, May 9, 2010

Window of opportunity.

It started raining around 0530 Sat. morning and continued until early afternoon. I watched the radar and saw the end of the rain very close to town. The wind was nil but forecast to be real strong by 2 pm. We headed for the dog track while we had the chance. I got in 3 flights in calm to very light wind and no thermals. What a joy flying in near perfect conditions. By 4 pm it was getting windy.
I took out the Nobler ARF and put a tongue muffler on the engine. I had 3/4 ounce on the tail to balance the plane and with the lighter muffler I removed the weight and it balances right where it should. Next time out I'll try to fly it again. The engine is inverted and can be hard to start that way. I may need a different stooge design for planes with inverted engines. One I just set the plane down in instead of the string around the tail. Putting the string around the tail when the engine is running is a challenge. Using the starter generally works on the inverted engines though.

No comments: