Wednesday, June 6, 2012

More rain and cold.

I volunteered to paint the new storage shed at the Brooklyn field. I've been waiting for the paint for a while. Last week 3 gallons were in the shed and it started to rain. I had figured on a thin, sprayable stain but it was thick latex stain. I would have to use a roller instead of the faster spray gun. The next day the sun was out and I got the first coat on. It took 3 hours as the wood soaked up the paint. Some thinning of the paint was in order as the 3 gallons wouldn't finish the job. It rained the next day. On Sunday the sun was out and I was able to get the second coat on that afternoon. It rained a couple hours later and hasn't stopped in 3 days. Windy too with temps in the 50's.
 The club's riding mower has been showing signs of a worn drive belt lately. I tried to see it but it's up under a skid plate. I felt around and it feels like the belt has twisted and stretched and worn enough to be slipping. No way that I can find to tighten it. As luck would have it the brand is "Scotts" and made by Murray which went bankrupt in '05 and the new owner of the name, Briggs and Stratton, don't provide any support for mowers made before '05. I've checked on line and searched similiar mowers to get an idea of how the belt runs. It won't be an easy fix. A tool store nearby is on the dealer list.
  I picked up a push mower from the transfer station at the field and got it running. Then while putting the air cleaner on I grabbed the hot muffler. Fingers are healing nicely. I got a new blade coming for that mower. All it needed was to fix the pull cord which the owner had tied to the handle.

No comments: