Monday, June 11, 2012

Some progress.

We took the hot rod out Sunday for some ice cream. There was a motorcycle run at the Plainfield VFW and there was lots of bikes on the road and at the ice cream stand on Ekonk Hill. Some of the RUBS looked the car over and when we were driving out Ma heard one say he wanted to "hear It". I eased out on the road and picked up the idle a bit then stomped it at about 5 mph. The engine didn't hesitate and the tire started spinning. I held it for a second or two then let off. Neato.
  I went to Huber's Garage  and ordered the parts for the club's mower. They should be in tomorrow around noon.
  I've been looking at  the Edelbrock carb. and finally figured out what to do with it. I removed the 750 cfm Holley from the hot rod and installed the Edelbrock because there was already a hand choke set up in the hot rod. The engine started right up and a tweak of the idle mixture adjustment screws and idle setting and it worked fine. I went for a short ride and the carb. performed well. I figure it's an AVS Performer 650 cfm carb. The regular Edelbrock carbs don't have Air Valve Secondarys. I need to get some 1/4" threaded rod to make an air cleaner hold down and it's finished. The 750 holley will go on the El Camino as I don't like the electric choke Holley on it now. It takes too long for the choke to open and the engine runs rough during that time. A hand choke conversion would work too but I like the way the Holley works on the hot rod.

No comments: