Wednesday, March 15, 2017

A gathering of mowers.

Today is trash pickup day. Most everyone in the neighborhood put their trash out yesterday afternoon just to be safe, I guess. My wife noticed that one of the neighbors put a push mower next to the trash can. So she went and asked if we could have it knowing that I like to tinker with them. The owner said he couldn't get it started so out it goes. It's a Bohlens brand by MTD with a Briggs overhead valve engine and sold through Lowes. I started tinkering with it this morning and could barely get a pop out of the thing. I removed the tank and carb. cleaned them out and put things back together. The oil was way over full so I drained that and put fresh oil in. The old oil was a tan color which indicates it was in the flood. I checked for and found spark at the spark plug and removed the flywheel to check the condition of the key. I wasn't damaged so I put that back together. I squirted fuel into the carb. and after several pulls there would be a pop or two. I kept doing that until the primer would do the same thing. After several more primes it started up but stopped. After several starts and stops it kept running for about a minute and stopped again. It restarted and ran for several minutes. then it started and kept running. Probably water in the carb. bowl got flushed out. I removed the blade and sharpened it and re installed it. The thing I like about it is that it has easily adjustable wheel height. Now it's in the shed ready for use, I hope.
  While waiting for the red paint to dry I read the directions on the can and found that this paint only needs two days until re coating. I installed the control surfaces and the glue is drying now. I sprayed a test panel before painting the plane so I'll hit it with some clear I have to see what happens. I've been using a new formula Rustoleum spray paint and this stuff is the old slow drying enamel paint. While the other paint would dry and be swept up like dust after painting the old original paint made a big mess of the floor. I poured some lacquer thinner on the floor and tried to wipe it up with so so results. It's still a swirly looking mess.

No comments: