Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Mods for Nomad 1.

A while back I found that a larger stab/elev. gave better performance. I added a half inch strip to the trailing edges of Nomad 1 and 2. It worked but then I built Nomad 5 with a longer span tail and that worked even better. It's my contest profile plane. Then came my electric powered Nomad 6 with squared off wing tips and tail. That got the longer tail and it flys very well. I measured the span of the stabilizer on 5 and made some pieces to stretch the tail to 5's length and to square off the stab to boot. That gives me even more elevator area than the No. 5 design. I trimmed the half inch piece down to 1/8 and glued the extension on. I flew it this morning and it corners better than anything I have. Still stable in level flight. Maybe it will be compete with 5 for the profile spot. I took the engine out of the SV-11 and put it back into the Mandarin. It was giving me problems with running steady. I changed fuel and propellers before the swap but it didn't make a difference. A while ago I put a velocity stack on the venturi to control the raw fuel coming out during the run. The venturi is very short. I flew the Mandarin and the engine did the same thing. I removed the stack and it seems to run like it should again. I have another stack on the Legacy so that will be removed as well.

No comments: