Thursday, February 28, 2013

Usable weather.

I took a ride to the ball fields in town and found them not usable to fly off of. Too much standing water and snow and ice patches. Around noon I went to the flying field to check on the mower tires and ad air if needed. I checked the circle and found it very wet with large snow and ice patches covering most of the circle. There was an area that could be used as a starting point so I went home and got the P-39. I didn't take the StregA-36 because of the water and cool temps. I don't want to pour hot water on the engine before the nose gets a coating of oil and the P-39 has a nose wheel to keep it from tipping up when running through the snow. I had made a few changes from the last outing and the plane flew very well. I made new lines for it too and the first flight was a one ouncer to see how the lines were set then I got in three full flights. The new handles I made don't have any fine adjustment for line length. When I got home I hung the lines on a nail and the down line seemed to be a bit longer which would make it fly too high and get off the ground and up to 5 feet too fast. I switched up and down lines on the handle and it felt better. The MI Bipe is nearing paint. The balance came out real close and total weight before paint is 14 ounces. It should fly but I can't say how well.

No comments: