Sunday, March 2, 2014

Light snow, mid 30's test flight.

I've been wondering about the new school in Sterling, if the track has been cleared. I took a ride over and the track is about half clear. Not enough for 60 foot lines but 53 footers might fit in. Back home to get the Acromaster and my wife for a helper. Then back to the school. When I ran the lines out, Spectra, I noticed they went past half way to the other snow bank. Too late to back out now. I put 2 ounces into the 3 ounce tank, poured hot water over the old but hardly used Fox .19 to warm it and it started after clearing out the flood. The take off was kinda loose on the lines but after a circuit or two the plane stayed out and I managed two inside loops an inside square loop, inverted flight and some lazy eights. The engine started slowing down and the plane landed before the engine stopped. The fuel line had partially come off the nipple. Back home I cut 3.5 feet off the lines and put a piece of shrink tubing over the fuel line to hold it in place. Somehow the wing seemed to be built straight and was level in flight. I tried to use the kit method to build the wing but it wouldn't work. The die crushing was awful. Less line spacing at the handle and/or push rod in the furthest hole in the elevator horn or removing the half ounce tail weight. will help the jumpyness. The c/g is about an inch from the leading edge with the .19 and a wood prop. I put a half ounce on the tail to get it that far back. All in all it flys pretty good and has room for improvement.

No comments: