Monday, March 31, 2014

More snow, rain, wind, low temps and engine tests.

 The forecast was for winter warning for the north west section of the state. This morning it snowed there and then moved to the CT river valley and stayed. Good for them.
  I went to the Hyundae dealer for an oil filter and then had to go home to get money for oil. As I got off the highway I could see a column of steam or smoke ahead of me. I couldn't recall any industry left that would be making steam so smoke it had to be. As I neared Plainfield Rd. I could see black smoke rising from near the intersection of River Rd. and Sterling Hill Rd. Out of town fire trucks were coming and more trucks were coming from another direction. Probably under control by now.
 I save any engine parts that are salvageable after I toast an engine. I had a piston and liner for an OS .46LA doing nothing plus two for the .40LA. The new .46LA had not been running right and I found that I had drilled the nva hole off towards the front where the exit hole is. I ordered a new block and venturi then proceded to put the hole where it should have been. I got it close by elongating the original hole and sealed it with fiber gaskets with the exit hole in the proper place. I tapered a piece of popsicle stick and jammed it between the spray bar and venturi to force the spray bar towards the middle as much as possible while I tightened the spray bar nut. I took the engine apart to do this because of the filings I created. I took the spare P&L and installed it and saved the new set. I put the heat gun to the engine and set it in the test stand and fired it up. A great run by any standards. I'll have to mount it back on the Ringmaster in a couple years when global warming kicks in.

No comments: