Sunday, August 6, 2017

A miss and a hit.

The door locks to the new shed/garage and the house have locks that are upside down. The key is inserted with the teeth pointing down. That isn't right. The other locks are reversed and the key is inserted with the teeth pointing up. This way dirt won't fall into the pins that the key meshes with to turn the lock. Having gone to locksmith school and worked at the trade for a few years the upside down locks have been bugging me since we moved in. I had an extra lock set that was on the old shed door. The key for that got lost and we never got it. I had to remove a window and reach in and unlock the door. I made a new door later on and the lock set sat on the floor since. I checked it this morning and it's the same brand as the others, Kwikset, so I could use it for parts. One of the doors has been easy to open after locking it simply by turning the know a few times. I figured I could use the shed lock set to replace that one and turn the lock around so the lock would be in the right orientation. I got the lock removed from the spare set and removed the bad set and removed the lock from it and put it in the shed lock set right side up. That set was right side up to begin with but needed a better unit. Now I have a working door lock on the door. I attacked the new shed/garage lock and took it apart and turned the lock cylinder 180 degrees and reinstalled it. Then I did the same with the house door lock. I'm happy now.
  Because of the locksmithing I missed the temperature window and didn't get to go flying. I removed the 4 ounce plastic tank from the Shark and put a metal 5 ounce tank on. I wanted to try it as the 4 ounce tank didn't hold enough fuel. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

No comments: