Sunday, August 27, 2017

I was having fun.

One of my motto's is If I'm not bleeding I'm not having fun.
  I charged the batteries for the electric planes and found that the nose wheel installation was causing some interference. I started to trim some of the wood away when the Exacto slipped and cut into the palm of my left thumb. After stemming the flow I sewed the cut together with super glue. After that I got the idea to water proof it with some rubbery glue. That did sting for a while but did the job.
  I went to the park late because it was sprinkling when I finished breakfast. I did some cleaning then went to the park with the electric Pathfinder and the big Shark. On the last flight with the Shark the line that pressurizes the fuel tank fell off and the engine went lean and fast for 10 minutes. I was happy to find it was no more than that. Next up was the electric and I had two batteries unused from yesterday. The first flight was good but a tad slow. I tweaked the power pot and installed the last battery. Just as I finished the square eights the battery left the plane. During the construction of the model I was in my usual hurry and glued the battery tray facing the outside of the circle. The flight loads were trying to detach the battery on all the previous flights but this one succeeded. At home I got the chance to use the spare hacksaw blade to cut the battery tray side out and glue a new side on the proper side. New Velcro straps and some white paint and it's ready to fly again.
  I've had lots of good things happen when I install a nose landing gear on my profile planes. The Pathfinder was designed for three wheels but I scratch built this one with two. I put the third one on last week and flew it yesterday, Saturday. Nice and stable just like the others. I used two smaller batteries on it yesterday and had two bigger batteries left from the P-40-B that didn't fly right. That's why I used the bigger ones. Anyway they aren't going anywhere now.
  I had to send the second wrong fuel tank back to the store as they sent the same number that was the wrong one in the first place. The right one may be here Monday along with my balsa order.

1 comment:

Sweet Pea said...

Ahh, now I know how you took care of the latest cut!