Monday, June 8, 2009

Back at the dog track.

I checked the old school yard in Oneco and it hadn't been mowed so I took my oldest plane and went to the dog track. There is a picture of it way back in the blog someplace. It's the yellow one along side the red one. Anyway I had tried to set the balance to the print but the print didn't show a c/g. I also re-installed the Fox .45 instead of the .40 as I needed the extra weight for balance. It proved to be a good match as it flew quite well. I had flown it a bit after I built it but never got it right until I added the bigger engine, which I had installed on it at first but changed it to the .40. Lap times are slower than I'm used to at 5.4 seconds but the lines stay tight. I moved the leadouts forward a little as I could see both wheels in flight. I tweaked the flaps to get the outside wing lower too, may need a tab. It turns better with down elevator that up elevator so I made a change at the handle to try and even things up. With a 12 x 4 Zinger at 10300 it uses 1.33 ounces of fuel a minute so I put on a 6 ounce plastic tank to get in the whole pattern or my interpretation of it. I'll give it a try again tomorrow.
My brother gave me a Homelite weed wacker and a 22 inch mower with a 3.5 hp Briggs engine. The Homelite wouldn't run unless the choke was almost full on and the mower has a bent blade shaft. I removed the carb. from the homelite and cleaned the dirt out and it runs fine. I rotated the blade shaft on the mower and found the high spot and hit it with a large hammer. Only once. It runs smooth now and cuts very well. Dont tell my brother.

No comments: