Sunday, June 7, 2009

Trip report.

We got to LA on time and I assembled the Ringmaster. On Fri. we headed for Iola, TX. 365 miles of mostly hard top roads but there was some dirt as we neared the flying site. I had put two planes in the Durango and a tail wheel poked through the Ringmaster wing. Some epoxy and a Subway sandwich wrapper patched it up. On Sat. I flew in the stunt contest portion of the Roundup and came in second in my class. Lots of pictures at http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info. We got back to Slaughter,LA Sun. afternoon and proceeded to cut three trees down to make a flying field in the back yard. We missed a limb but the Ringmaster didn't. Took the right wing off. It's repairable though. I spent the rest of the week visiting with a friend down the street and we got in some flying and '72 Volkswagon bug repairing. My son and I and my friend installed a wiring kit to upgrade it to 12 volts. A bit tricky as the kit was for US made cars but it worked. The trip back to CT was on time. I got in some flying and today I went to a grass field instead of the dog track parking lot. It's a good thing as I bottomed out in the square eight. Took the fin off but no other damage. I flew it again and it seemed OK. I'm planning on getting some methanol and mixing my own fuel. Some drag racing friends have some and maybe I can buy a few gallons from them. If not I can get some at the track.

No comments: