Sunday, July 19, 2009

Back to flying at the new school.

I brought Roy to get the bike yesterday. All went well, he's happy.
I went to the new school and gto in a couple flights the other day. I have come to the conclusion that some nitro is needed to get the engines to run smoother and cooler. The no nitro fuel requires you to lean the mix almost a full turn from where 5% nitro runs. This not only makes the engine run longer but cuts down on the amount of oil going through the engine which in turn makes it run hotter. I mixed some no nitro with 5% nitro fuel and ended up with 2.5% nitro whict runs better and a lot cooler. And this is with about 22% oil as opposed to 27% oil in the no nitro fuel. So with that in mind my next fuel order will be 4 gallons of 10% nitro fuel and I'll mix each gallon with 3 gallons of no nitro which should produce 4 gallons of 2.5% fuel. If I mix the no nitro fuel 1 gallon and 1 quart of castor oil that should give me 20% oil just like the bought fuel. And with 10% fuel I can make the blend stronger for cold weather ops. The glow plugs are less finicky with nitro too. I figure I can get 16 gallons of 2.5% nitro 20% oil fuel out of the 4 gallon case of 10% nitro fuel. And I'll have 3 gallons of no nitro fuel left over. Looks like I should stop typing and start flying.
Yesterdays weather was awful. Low 80's with very high humidity. And today is as perfect as you could want. All we had to do was wait a minute.

1 comment:

2Evil4U said...

Interesting finding with the FAI fuel. I guess running cooler is relative to the task at hand.