Sunday, June 19, 2011

Decent weather for a change.

We went by the r/c field to see if the hay had been mowed and it hasn't.
I've been to the Oneco site during last week and got in some flying. I have to enlarge it about 6 feet so I can have room to set up and not have the handle in the center circle. I made a pair of ramps to get the mower on and off the truck and it will fit through the gate that is the only open entrance to the field.
The 576 Ringmaster has been giving me trouble with level flight. When the engine quits it noses over towards the ground on top of things. When I got home I checked the thrust line and found a bit of up thrust in the engine. I adjusted that into a bit of down thrust. And I figured the nose over could be a nose heavy condition too. I got the plans and transferred the c/g to the model and put it on the balancer. I come up with a rather severe tail heavy condition. I installed a 2 ounce hub to the engine and got the c/g within a 1/4 inch still to the tail heavy side but a lot better than it was. I put some grease on the leadouts as they were scraping on the guides. I may have to move the leadout guide closer to the wing tip. The engine has been running well and changing from a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke in maneuvers. The change is very abrupt and powerful. Like a .60 on a short pipe. I put one of the modified heads back on to quiet that down a bit and it worked pretty good. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
I found 2 more dead squirrels while mowing the lawn. The foxes are not going hungry.

No comments: