Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Still summer.

I got 3 cans of R-134A at NAPA and set up the gauges for charging. First the charge hose wouldn't poke through the can seal. I ground off the extra metal on the knurled nut to let the hose seal against the can. Still no puncture. I found the puncture thing in the hose came out so I soldered an extension to it . Now it punctures the seal and seals against the can. The puncture is so small and the extension is plugging the hole to boot. 2 cans take a half hour to half empty. The engine is running and the 4 core radiator kept the temp steady at 190. I got the idea to unscrew the puncture tool in the hose leaving it caught by a half turn. Then installing the hose on the can with the puncture tool doing max damage to the can seal. With the tool backed out and plugging the hole in the seal I hold the knurled nut and turn the can which screws the puncture tool in and out of the hole letting the stuff flow freely. The 3rd can emptied in a minute. I should get another can and put that in too. I think the hose is for a bulk container and not a small can. Or it was for a bulk container. Still it's nice to close the windows and be cool.
I got the mowers ready and the wind has picked up mostly from thermals. I'll still bring a plane when I go to mow.

No comments: