Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer is here, I think.

I've been going to the new school in the early morning to fly. Yesterday as the day before I could feel the tops of the clover tickling the lines during takeoff. On my third flight a clover bud caught the lines and the plane flew across the circle and straight out to the end of the lines. The lines broke at both ends on one line and one end on the other. The one break line was still attached to the handle and the plane, now free, hit the ground shortly after. The prop didn't break and the engine is still good but the plane got junked. The 1/8" post the bellcrank is suspended from bent in the middle, the elevator pushrod pulled off the flap horn. I made up anew set of lines.
I went to the school around 0815 and got in one flight when I noticed I was being watched. The guy came over and introduced himself as the principal. We chatted a bit and I may get to do a demo for the student body some time. A horribly windy day to be sure. And possibly start a class for those interested in modeling. At least the principal said he would get the grounds keeper to mow the clover. I was flying over the asphalt track. I noticed a oil spray pattern on the tar that looked like a plane made it. I haven't flown on the tar in a year or more so it can't be mine. I use a mat to control the oil spray when flying on the track.
The mods I've done to the Fox .40's works very well. I installed the second one in the Twister today and hope to fly it soon. I got a dentist visit at 1000 tomorrow and it will be to warm after that to fly. I hope to get to the Oneco field soon but it has to be in the late afternoon if it cools down by then. I'm mowing it on a regular basis anyway.

No comments: