Monday, December 24, 2012

Carb. change.

I have moved between the Holley and the Edelbrock version of the Carter A.F.B. carbs. all summer and into the winter. The main problem has been the electric choke on the Holley and percieved gas mileage on the AFB. I had the Holley on first and installed the AFB because of the choke. The AFB runs very well but seemed to have poor mileage. I reeinstalled the Holley and put a manual choke conversion on it and the high idle wouldn't drop on command. I trimmed some plastic and improved the situation. The Holley also has a stumble at parking lot speed and a little more gas to get over the stumble is too much speed for a parking lot. I bit the bullet and put the AFB back on the other day and will stick with it. I don't think the mileage is any worse than the Holley. The high idle is connected to the choke so it comes off as the choke opens manually. The AFB has a manual choke to begin with. No stumble either.
  I weighed all the parts of the Strega/A-36 and came up with 58.5 ounces. It's very close to paint and should be real close to my hoped for weight of 59.9 ounces when fully assembled and ready to fly. I didn't factor in the wing tip weight about an ounce there. I thought the plane was all one color but I found today it has a light blue or grey bottom. I have to get some white dope to lighten the light blue I have. A very light grey primer would be about perfect too but I think I already have the lightest grey primer out there. I could apply the bottom color after the olive drab dope for the top then I could use enamel or whatever brand that has what I need.

No comments: