Friday, December 21, 2012

Not quite an auto clave but...

 I called Brodak Mon. afternoon and ordered some light silk span, decals, a pilot figure and some paint. It hadn't arrived by night fall mail delivery so I went with plan 'A'. I figured that i could use finishing epoxy instead of the paper but getting it to cure in these cooler temperatures is a problem. I mixed up a small batch of epoxy and thinned it to brushing consistancy and applied a coat to the cowl and hatch cover and put them on the furnace to cure. The next day the epoxy had cured very nicely. Now how to get the plane on the furnace?  I mixed a batch of epoxy and brushed a coat on the fuselage. The next day it was tacky still even though I had the plane near one of the baseboard heaters in my bed room. That may explain why it stayed tacky. We had electric heat installed in the upstairs rooms when they were remodeled 30 years ago and now they go unused. One of the rooms is about 8 feet square. I turned the heat on to 75 degrees and started to mix a batch of epoxy. I brushed on the second coat and put the plane near the heater. A few hours later I got the idea to hang it from the ceiling and did that and turned the heat up a bit more. 8 hours later the epoxy had cured nice and hard.
  I found the Brodak order on the back porch again and opened it to find wire landing gear instead of decals. The invoice had the correct number so I called and got that straightened out then mailed the gear and invoice back to Brodak. I hung the silk span on the wall.
This morning I mixed up a batch of spackle into a slurry of brushing consistancy and put a coat on the fuselage. When it dries I'll sand it off and do that until the surface is smooth. Then primer and sand.
  I took the detail gun out and used some of the left over paint from the hot rod to get the spray pattern to where I can use it for the plane. The paint has been in a quart can since 1997/98 winter. It's still good.

No comments: