Saturday, December 22, 2012

Once more for old times sake.

The poly span covering I used on the Strega/A-36 wing has to go on smooth side up. It isn't too hard to figure out which side is the smooth side as I got it right on the bottom which I covered first. After a few coats of polycrylic on the entire wing surface I very lightly sanded the wing with 400A paper. The top looked funny after that. I hit those areas with a coat of primer this morning and the fuzz stood up right away. I couldn't sand it off either. I ended up removing the covering from the top of both wing panels and applying new covering. I tested for the smooth side several times before and after sticking it down. I found that running the covering over fine grit sand paper 'across the grain' was the best way to find the smooth side for sure. Testing with the grain was not usefull at all.  I heated the covering to remove the wrinkles and it's drying now. I'll put some coats on the areas I didn't get today later. Mostly the open bays between the ribs.
  The decals from Brodak came in a few minutres ago. I took a chance they would be close to the right size as Brodak is the only one that has the star and bar with a red surround which is on the A-36 I'm copying. The size is perfect. They are for one of Brodaks Hellcat kits.
 The weather is going down the drain with high winds and snow showers today. More snow is in the forecast for next week.

No comments: