Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Eve flying.

After some sanding and applying Polycrylic on the Strega/A-36 I noticed the winds were wuite low. The temp. was in the high 30's so I grabbed the Guru and headed for the field. There was 4 others flying r/c helicopters but they don't bother me at the circle. After putting the vent tube back on the tank and warming the engine with hot water it backfired on the first flip and spit the prop off. I had to remove the spinner to tighten the prop and replace the spinner. About a third into the flight the engine ran faster than it should have but I didn't get through the pattern before it quit. The vent tube fell off causing fuel to siphon out. I had a piece of tubing and a plug so after fixing that I got a good flight in. That plane flys very well. The handle I'm using on it is one I won at the raffle in October. The ones I'm making are noticably thinner. When I got home I fired up the sander and took a 1/4 inch off the thickness of the handle. I took a half ounce of tip weight out too and put on 2.5 inch wheels as the 2.25 inchers didn't like the rough ground and the gear is a bit too far aft.  I put in a new longer piece of vent tubing, hopefully that will cure the problem.
  I started the proces of gluing the canopy on the Strega/A-36. I got an instrument panel and a pilot figure glued in then brushed on the final color where the canopy is located so when I mask it off for the final painting there won't be any bare wood showing under the canopy. I bought some of the new fast setting J-B Weld and have tested it with good results. I'll use that to go around the entire canopy and really glue it down and form a fillet at the same time.

No comments: