Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Yea for Poly Span.

   The play span finally arrived last Sat. in the mail. All 38" x 20' was neatly folded into a bubble wrap envelope. Not what I was planning on. I got it unfolded enough so I could wrap it onto a broom stick. It's a lot easier to handle when it's in a roll. I got the wing covered by Monday and started to seal the random weave with poli-crylic this morning. So far so good. I covered the flaps and they are drying.
  The new handles are working well on all the planes so far. 576 Ringmaster, Banshee, Twister, Red Molly and Honey Bee all are easier to fly with the newer handle. I did some research and found that the same design is used by most of the big boys. I did borrow the metal hard point design from a handle Brodak sells for $38.00. Mine didn't cost anything except a little band sawing, hack sawing, routing and drilling. I keep the same line spacing at the handle but with less overhang. It's working.
  I found a small can of gold glaze paint that was left from the previous owners. I mixed it up and made some test swatches with it. I sprayed clear over two of the test pieces and the brilliance of the gold faded severely. I need to put a swatch on one of the planes to see if it reacts with the fuel residue without being protected.
  I also ordered a 5 gallon portable air tank from Amazon this morning for $32.99 free shipping too. I will hook up the small spray gun and use the tank for the air source. The gun only needs 5 or less psi so a full tank should last a lnog time. This will save me from having to move the compressor into the basement. I can take the tank to the field and fill the tires on the riding mower. One tire goes flat about every 6 weeks.

No comments: