Saturday, December 29, 2012

The wait begins.

We went to the hobby shop in Fiskdale, MA, Hog Heaven, and I got some parts and had to order some cub yellow trim sheets for the a-36. I found an old bottle of Pactra Aero Gloss paint that was the color I have been looking for for the bottom of the A-36. It was 4 ounces and with thinning should be enough for the bottom. As it turned out 4 ounces just barely did the job. I had to use the Badger air brush for the last touch ups as it has a small paint tank. I had never used it and it's been around for over 20 years. It worked fine with it's own air supply in a can. I checked Amazon and found that replacements are still available. The bottom of the plane has less area than the top. The fuselage sides and top, the fin and rudder make 4 ounces of paint too litrtle for the job. I called Brodak and ordered another 4 ounces of olive drab and a pint of thinner. Maybe by mid week next I'll be able to spray on the olive drab. Then it will be getting the decals and lettering to finish the job. I got the local sign cutter working of the unit insignia but I haven't heard from him in over a week. I'll be seeing him about the other lettering and will check on the insignia then.
  I got the new lines in yesterday and made up a set of .018 dia. by 67 feet long. That is the max. length for that plane with in the rules of 70 feet from handle to the center of the model. And with the heavier more powerful plane and engine I figure .015 dia. lines would be pushing it. They will hold the plane and maybe I'll go the them after I find out how much pull this set up has. A windy day will require the use of the .018's as the pull down wind is a lot more than on a normal wind day.

No comments: