Wednesday, July 16, 2014

More leaks.

I hadn't flown the A-36 in 9 months so I went to the field between the rain drops yesterday. The engine wouldn't settle down. start off strange and get stranger. I had to launch at 7400 and it would speed up as soon as it moved forward. After a few laps it would settle down but then speed up again. At home I removed the engine and checked the head shim. It was .020 thick so I installed a .010 shim. Then I removed the tank and pressure tested the engine and tank. The engine passed but the tank had 4 leaks. Two pin holes in the side wall and one in the end solder seam and one in the feed tube joint. Hopefully I can get out today to test it. I would like to put a plastic tank in but there isn't much room. If this fix doesn't work I may have to operate.

No comments: