Friday, July 4, 2014

Went the wrong way.

The Super Tiger engine I got from Gil runs pretty good but has some strange traits. I didn't pay any attention to them as I had never run a S/T .60 c/l engine before. I did think it strange that I couldn't prime the engine by closing off the venturi and flipping the prop. I began to suspect a vacuum leak and today I removed the engine from the plane and pressure tested the intake system.  I found a leak at the O-ring seal and then another at the draw bar that holds the venturi in place. The draw bar doesn't fit well at all and I suspect it came from another engine. I put it back together and put a blob of  Plumbers Goop over the draw bar  end.
 As I was about to re install the engine I noticed a side thrust shim under the r/c motor mount I used in this plane. I almost didn't pay any attention to it but then took into account which way it pointed the engine and where the leadouts are. I had put it in the wrong side. I removed the shim and put the engine back in. I added a half ounce of tail weight yesterday so I need to get some test flights in, maybe today if the rain holds off. Dry so far at 0730.

No comments: