Friday, May 19, 2017

All's well that ends in the well.

After finding out how the rear brake calipers worked I checked it out on you tube and Amazon. I saw a cube shaped tool that has several different types of lugs that fit other calipers. I checked Amazon and found that Wal Mart has it. I also found a kit similar to the one for rent at Auto Zone but $100.00 cheaper than their rental price. At WalMart I found the cube, a caliper spreader and a large C-clamp all for less than $20.00. I got the rear caliper off by lightly prying it up and put the cube tool on with a 3/8 ratchet and 4 inch extension. 7 turns later the piston was retracted and ready to put back on. I marked the spot that was on the bottom and put it back where it was as a pin on the pad back plate has to go into a slot in the piston. The inside pad was worn down to the metal back plate causing the noise. The parts went back together smoothly and after several easy pumps of the brake pedal that side was done. The other side went just as smooth but quicker having some experience now. The pads were in a bit better shape but worn close to scraping, scrapping, rubbing on the back plate, take your pick.. I put the tire back on and let the car down on the jack stand. I found that out when I put the car in reverse and backed up a few noisy inches.
  I mixed up another 5 gallons of fuel this morning. I was going to go the the hobby shop and get a gallon of fuel with all synthetic oil but I used a gallon of what I have on hand. I'll get one another time.

No comments: