Thursday, November 9, 2017

Triple play at El Dorado.

The weather for the contest was flyable. A very light mist and breezy on Saturday. I entered three of the four events and got in some good flights. At the end of the flying I ended up third in profile, warbird and classic. So far the Nomad has put me on the podium every time. The P-39 has made the podium about half the time, same with the Gypsy. On Sunday I didn't end up last.
  The profile version of Tom Dixon's Thunderbird is in the almost ready to cover stage. I put a thinned coat of epoxy on the fuselage this morning and it takes a long time for this stuff to cure. The wing and stab. fit the openings. I had to modify the incidence meter so I can use it to align the wing and stab. With the flaps installed I can use the area that was covered by the fuselage to hang the meter. then I can shim the stab. to match the wing. I also changed the name from Thunderbird to hunderbird. A bit of heat the the "T" peeled off. Now it's German. I can hear the German version of Tatoo saying to his wife "Hun, der bird, der bird". I guess you had to be there.

I think I've got the Nomad X figured out. After trying several propellers I put on one that I use exclusively on the .46 size engines. The engine perked up immediately. From a 2 stroke run at 9000 rpm to a 4 stroke run at 10500 rpm. It's just the opposite of what it should be. I cured the sticky lines by adding tail weight which made me move the leadouts back which took them away from the internal wing structure. I ended up adding another ounce yesterday for a total of two ounces of tail weight. I got in a short flight this morning and it flew very well.

No comments: