Thursday, November 30, 2017

Handle mod.

I scored a used handle at a contest recently. I make my own handles and today I found a use for this one. I like light handles and mine are close to 15 grams. Made from reinforced laminated plywood. The other handle weighs 3.3 ounces. I chiseled off the hand pieces and cut the cable off the bar and the thong off the handle. A few passes on the belt sander and a slice off the palm of the handle brought the weight down an ounce. I drilled some holes in the bar for 4-40 eye bolts and a coat of Poly Crylic and a new safety thong and it's ready to go.
  My attempt at a bar handle is in the photo and it weighs 3.3 ounces also. I kept one for old times sake and it came in handy donating the eye bolts. The small hole in the center of the handle is for the stake I use to anchor the handle in place while I retrieve the plane back to the stooge. It keeps the lines tight and untwisted.
I got to the field and flew the 665 and P-39. The 665 and ASP .52 didn't go as well as I had hoped. The engine went lean for several laps, I only put 2 ounces in the tank. The P-39 with the relocated Evo .52 flew very well. It has a better corner now and is stable like always. I found some debris in the fuel filter on the ASP and cleaned that out. Will try again later on.
 

No comments: