Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Taking shape.

I tried a new way to align the plane before final gluing. I set it up on the glass table top and used a monokote core cut in two pieces under the wing and two spray paint cans under the stab. After shimming the wing to the chord lines I shimmed the stab to equal the zero setting of the wing. the core pieces and cans held things parallel.  I sprayed a coat of primer and all the gaps showed up. I put some spot putty on and it's drying now. I'll have to thin some and brush it on the balsa parts the ply has a nice finish on it already.
  I gave the Twister wing another session of twist and heat but the weather has kept me from testing this adjustment.
  The weather started to clear and the winds were light so we headed to the park with the Twister. The first short flight showed the wings to be nearly level so I fueled up and got in 2 full pattern flights. Very minor adjustments from now on.

No comments: