Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bench trimming and stuff.

The Brodak tank I put on the Flite Streak worked well but I figured there should be more capacity. I grabbed one of the tank plugs and made a tank that holds 3.5 ounces.
I was thinking about the way the Flite Streak flew and that it has a weak looking push rod that comes with the ARF. I did a loop or two and the plane felt sluggish. I flew inverted and when I pulled out using down control the plane turned very sharp. Up control is a push on the rod and down is a pull. I held the elevator in neutral and pulled the up lead out. The push rod bent before the supplied guide and after it. That explains the less than stellar inside loops. I sanded the push rod and soldered on two pieces of wire, one before the guide and one after. Now the push rod is much stiffer. I'll give it a try next time out. I would have made a carbon tube push rod but I don't have any. It's on my shopping list.

No comments: