Monday, April 19, 2010

Too windy.

I've been wondering about the speedometer on the ElCamino. It has a bad bounce in it and it was the same on the other one I installed. I figured it may be the cable but it is in good shape and free in it's housing. I hooked a new cable to each speedo and using a drill motor tested each. They worked fine but when installed back in the dash the bounce was still there. I lubed the speedo with WD-40 as best as I could but no change. I remembered another speedo tranny gear I had for many years in the nut and bolt box. I found it and cleaned it up and installed it last Sat. I got a chance to test it today and the speedo works fine now. I can't see any damage to the old gear but it was not working properly. I also looked up the directions on the Holley electric choke adjustment. I'm headed in the right direction on that one but in a paragraph on wiring the choke it said to not wire it to the coil as it will reduce the power to the coil and cause other problems. I ran a wire from something that was hanging unused to the choke and removed the other wire.

4 comments:

2Evil4U said...

Choke should just need a Ignition key switched 12V source.

Perry Rose said...

That's what I did. Richard had told me to hook it to the dist. I have to move the tach. now as it's in front of the speedo on the column.

2Evil4U said...

I'll bet the original speedo gear had one too few teeth compared to the one you just installed and it was skipping.

Perry Rose said...

The old gear had one half tooth less than the replacement. I had to look it over several times before finding the broken tooth.