Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cloudy and good flying weather.

I looked the strange running Fox engine over very carefully this morning. I remembered the best way to find out the problem is to change one thing and test it then try another thing if the first didn't fix the problem. I removed the tank and pressurized it under water and found no leaks. I put it back on with two rubber bands instead of 5. I removed the needle valve and spray bar and disassembled it. I sprayed brake cleaner through it and de-burred the exit hole. I re installed the spray bar and rotated the exit hole up a bit from about 5 o;clock to 4. Then I found an old glow plug in the spare Fox .40 and put that in. I went to the dog track to test the "change" and on the first flight I timed the third lap after take off and again on the second lap after finishing the pattern. Identical times. Same thing on the second and third flights. So it must have been the glow plug after all. The best part is that the plane was turning high 5 second laps with calm to very light winds and holding line tension so I could do the entire pattern. I tweaked the needle before each flight and the 3rd flight was in the 5.4 sec range. A real nice speed.

No comments: