Friday, June 18, 2010

More testing.

I've been fighting poor engine runs again. This time the engine would go lean after take off and then cycle between full lean and full rich. I cleaned the NVA and no change. Then I figured I could use the remote NVA's I had left from converting the OS engines to regular NVA set ups. After some tweaking and mount filing I had one installed on the spare Fox .40. It ran the best it ever has. Very steady rpm. I couldn't put one in the Fox in the Padre as it has been modified for a newer Fox NVA. I did manage to put one of the standard OS units in though. I havent been able to test it in flight as the winds were way too high. Today should be good enough to fly. I took the weed wacker to the dog track and cut the weeds that didn't die from the weed killer/plant food I sprayed on them 2 weeks ago. I even mixed it stronger than suggested. Even at the house the grass I sprayed hasn't died yet. Anyway, I have two Fox .35's in planes and they run like crap. I took my NVA idea and installed an OS remote in the .35 in the Magician. Again it ran very well and will be flown today. I also noticed that a lot of fuel was escaping out through the crankshaft bushing between the prop thrust washer and the case. I has a lot of crank end play. I cut a spacer from aluminum and put it over the crankshaft and almost eliminated the end play. It's down to about .001 now. OS uses a spacer on it's engines too.

No comments: