Thursday, June 3, 2010

It runs.

I finally got around to moving the Harley to the back of the garage today. After some kicking it started and just as I was backing it to the door I had to shut it off and hurry to Groton to attend grandson's fathers' day thing at his school. I got back home 2 hours later and got the bike started again. I backed it out and when I put it in gear the clutch wouldn't release and the engine stalled. I found the chain case full of oil and got enough of it out that the clutch would release. I got it started again and drove it to the garage where I let it run. I put a voltage tester on the battery and found that the alternator isn't putting out anything. I also retarded the timing a bit as it was kicking back too much when I tried to start it. I'm a little bummed out over the charging system. But the tiny charger puts out enough to get it running and the battery is good for 10 minutes or so. I loaded up the El Camino and headed for the dog track but the wind is real gusty so I drove to Oneco to loosen the thing up. Got to get the hot rod out soon too.

3 comments:

2Evil4U said...

Before tearing the rotor/stator apart, make sure the regulator is working. The one on my Buell has crapped out once already.

2Evil4U said...

And if the regulator is bad, be careful how you charge the battery.

The regulator is just a resistor that turns extra electricity to heat. If you charge it with a running car with the bike electrical system on, you'll smoke the regulator.

Perry Rose said...

I tested the stator and it checks out fine. Must be the regulator. I was using a cycle battery charger and others when I was trying to get it running over the winter. Could have cooked it then.