Monday, September 13, 2010

Making progress.

I went to the dog track early today with the Padre and the PT-23. I added a foot to the lines on the Padre and it flew better. I removed the one footers and put on two footers and it flew better yet. I also put a restrictor in the uni-flow vent so ram air wouldn't change the engine run so much. It seemed to work but there wasn't much wind. The PT-23 flew with the outside wing up. I tweaked the flaps and it got a little better. At home I really tweaked the flaps and the joiner wire broke at the 90 degree bend. I was lucky it didn't break inside the fuselage. I wrapped a piece of thin sheet metal around the wire and soldered it to the wire. then I epoxied the ends to the flap. I went back to the dog track and I had set the flaps the wrong way and it was banked like it was flying the circle by itself. I tweaked the flaps the right way and it was better but not perfect. I didn't dare tweak it again and I will have a tab on it to bend.
Flying with 63 foot lines gives me more time for the maneuvers. The plane is flying faster ground speed but slower lap times. Good tension overhead but I added another .4 ounce weight to the tip weight box anyway. I would have won the Mass Cup with this set up.

No comments: