Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Early flights.

I left for the park earlier than normal today. The forecast is for rain. I flew the Hound Dog and then the Mo'Best. I couldn't find the balance point on the plans so I emailed the kit maker. He didn't know either. I flew it anyway and it flew well. When I got home I remembered that I had an article on the model written by the designer a long time ago. Included is a half page set of plans that has the balance range on it. My model is within the range so I'm happy.
  After cleaning things I was thinking how to improve the performance of the Fox .35. In my collection is an Enya .35 with an r/c carb on it. It took an hour to free it up from the gummed up castor oil. I removed the carb and looked for a venturi but didn't have one that will fit. I noticed that the one I do have the spray bar holes line up with the holes in the engine. I put a larger O-ring on the venturi and chamfered the i.d. so things would line up. Then I spread some blue silicone on the venturi and stuck it in the engine followed by the spray bar to keep thing in place while the silicone cures. Then I made a test mount for the engine and bolted it to the mount. The muffler has long disappeared  so I rummaged through the spare stuff and measured several other mufflers before coming to a muffler for the OS .25LA. It's a perfect fit. Now I have to find a place to clamp the mount so I can run the engine. The prop shaft is .025 larger than the rest of my engines so I drilled out an old prop so as not to ruin a good one.
  I had to make some line length adjustments on the Dog. At home I swapped the two lines and removed one of the larger clips I used for the adjustments and put the original back on. I have to get in a test flight before going to the contest this weekend.
  The builder s that put up my shed are working on building a neighbor's shed. The neighbors looked at mine and I gave them the name of the builders. They haven't come over and borrowed any tools yet.

No comments: