Thursday, January 21, 2010

Better weather for a change.

Sunshine and high 30's. I packed the Vector and the re built Primary Force in the truck and headed for the dog track. I had the heater going full hot to help warm the engines. I set up and last thing I got the Vector out and hooked it up. The engine started reasonably well and I got in a short flight to check how it flew. I widened the handle spacing to the max for the second flight and it helped. I tweaked the needle valve also. I did some maneuvers on the third flight and put it away. The tongue muffler was letting the oil get all over the plane making a big mess. I put a stock muffler on after I got home. The Primary Force needed a lot of line adjustment to get the handle in neutral. The engine run was OK but I made a change anyway. The second flight was better and I did the pattern on the third flight. The 4 ounce tanks I have, no matter the brand, don't hold 4 ounces. I just got the pattern in and the 2 laps after before the engine quit. I put in more elevator travel after getting home as I think it needed it. A flap tweak too. I may have to make another handle for the Vector to get more than 4 inches handle spacing. The new .46 engines are running well. I opened the combustion up some with the 5/8" ball end mill. I did the same to the .40 that was giving me fits and it ran very well. The combustion chambers are hemi shaped so it's easy to re work them. The glow plug is recessed in the chamber and I think by spot facing the seating surface is the best way to get the plug even with the chamber surface. I don't have an end mill to do the job so the heads are safe for now.

No comments: