Sunday, January 10, 2010

Brodak Vector.

I checked the balance on the new plane and set the leadouts where I figure they should be added one ounce of tip weight and set the plane in the storage room to await warmer weather.
Up next is the Vector ARF I got from Brodak a month ago. I didn't like the looks of the leadout cables so I removed the bellcrank and tied on a new set of cables. I also bushed the bellcrank leadout holes for better wear. Now comes the hard part getting the new cables through the already covered wing and through the very small holes in the adjustable leadout guide. I tried gluing the ends together but that didn't work. I took a piece of double stick tape and lay the cables end to end and wrapped the tape around once. I slowly pulled the old cable out and the new cable in and one cable came through the guide hole without a problem but one hung up. The old cable separated from the new and I had to cut a corner into the covering to get at the cable and push it through the guide with tweezers. After getting it through the guide hole I taped both cables to the wing so they can't go back. As I admired my good fortune I noticed I had cut into the top of the wing and not the bottom where the cut would not be seen. I put a piece of tape over the cut. I installed the wing flap joiner wire and then started on the elevators. I couldn't find the joiner for that and ended up making one from another. The directions say to use a carbon fiber tube to connect the bell crank to the flap horn. Its 6 inches long and I would have to make 2 glue joints. I'm going with 4-40 threaded rod and no glue joints. It must be cheaper to use threaded rod and a lot easier. I can't find and reference to control throw or where to put the push rod in the elevator horn. I'll have to ask Brodak about that. Also once the plane is assembled there is no way to adjust the controls. The OS .46 fit with only a little problem. I did manage to mark and drill the holes accurately. Fuel tank fits and the fuel tubing run will be long as I'm using the remote needle and it's very close to the tank feed tube. I can't figure the attraction these designers have with inch and a half dia. spinners. After cutting a slot for the prop there isn't any spinner left. I'll go without. Something else is missing besides the elevator joiner wire but I don't remember what it is right now.

No comments: