Sunday, January 24, 2010

Thinning the herd.

Another pretty good day so I packed up the new plane and headed to the dog track. The first flight was plagued by a muffler loosening up. The back end almost fell off. I re tightened it and started a second flight. At the second inside loop of the square eight the plane came in a bit and I couldn't get any control and it was pointed at the ground. Total loss. The engine broke in half with the crank and lower part of the block still bolted to the mounts. The plane broke in several pieces but the wing and tail parts didn't hardly hit the ground and are still usable for another fuselage.
I believed that the OS .40 and .46 shared the same block so I took a .40 apart and tried to put the cylinder sleeve from the .46 in it. The blocks are not the same. I now have a good spare crank, that will fit the .40, head and muffler. Next!!

No comments: