Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Plane gets wallpapered.

I was hesitant about covering the fuselage of the new plane with silk span. I have covered wings with it but not wood. It goes on wet which is against everything I know. I was told to stick down the edges and let it dry then dope it all down. That didn't make much sense either. So I did some of each. I put the paper on the plane and wet it slightly with a sponge while smoothing the paper at the same time. When I got it smooth I slopped on the clear dope and covered all of it the first time around. I used several pieces of paper to get around the wing and top and sides and bottom. When the first coat dried it was smooth all over. I was pleased. Now I have to add enough dope to fill the paper before applying the color coat. I did notice that I put the wrong color on the vertical fin. It should be blue with the stripes not orange. It should be an easy fix.

No comments: