Sunday, March 3, 2013

I did it, just about.

The temp. is barely in the high 30's and the winds are not too bad. I re arranged the flight box to carry the fuel needed for the Double Star engine in the StregA-36 and tried to put it into the El Camino. Won't fit. It barely fits into the Dodge. I headed for the field even though the school would be better there could be some people in the way. I had to park at the top of the hill and walk about a 1/4 mile to the circle. I picked out a good spot, considering the wind, and set things down. When I re configured the box I removed the prop box and fuel bottle to make room for the quart fuel can for the big engine. In the prop box is the stooge. Shit. Luckily I had another one that is a hook and a nail. I struck it into the ground and put the hook around the tail wheel and wire. It seemed like it would stay put so I went ahead and set everything up. I put in 3 and half ounces of fuel into the 6 ounce tank,flipped the plane over and primed the engine with a little fuel and lighter fluid. It started and being larger I had to pay attention flipping it right side up and hooking the stooge to the tail wheel. I grabbed the down line and walked out to the handle. If the plane came loose the down line would tip it up on the prop. I checked the controls and pulled the release line. It came off the wire and didn't release the plane. I grabbed the down line again and went back to the plane and attached the hook and back to the handle. It released this time and the plane flew very smooth. The engine quit early and I was amazed at the glide. I kept it barely above the grass for a ways before setting it down. I added another half ounce of fuel and restarted the engine. Same routine to the handle and the line came off the stooge again. Back to the plane and back to the handle and off it went. I gave it more rpm's and did a couple loops. It ran the fuel out this time and glided smoothly to a landing. I moved the lines out on the handle and shortened the up line a bit for the next time out. The engine did start right up, after the first flight, on it's wheels.

No comments: