Sunday, March 31, 2013

Getting warmer.

I've been designing new handles lately. I read a thread on a forum about one of the big boys bragging about his handle, made from carbon fiber sheet, and how light it is. He said "don't go cheap and make it out of aluminum". Oh? My first attempts were made from aluminum of varying thicknesses. They didn't come close to his weight of 14 grams but around 20 grams. I modified some of the handles I had been using but still over the 14 gram bar. The other day I picked up a sheet of 1/8" 5 layer plywood and noticed how stiff it is. I took my handle template and drew one out on the plywood and made a handle out of it. Some thin super glue and brass eyelets from the r/c servo hardware and I sandwiched the handle with 1/8" balsa in the grip area. The ready to fly handle weighs 14 grams and cost about a dollar in material and 30 minutes in time to make. I wrote an article about it and submitted to Brodak's Control Line World magazine. I've been getting in some flying lately but the winds have been rough. I got in 6 flights yesterday and between stooge problems, engine runs and getting blown out of maneuvers I didn't get in one complete flight. Today looks good though.

No comments: