Monday, March 11, 2013

Some snow is gone.

We went to the Sterling school yesterday with the Twister and a new handle I made from .062 aluminum. It's quite light at 27 grams. My first attempt at a new handle weighs 112 grams and the one I switched to after that one weighs 60 grams. I copied the shape from my other new handle. An article in a forum gave me the idea. Super flyer, designer, builder, finisher, thinker Paul Walker made one out of .080 carbon fiber plate. His weighs 14 grams. I don't have any carbon plate and have heard bad things about cutting it so I used what I had on hand. If some one had a water jet or laser cutter I would probably buy one. When we got to the school there was a pick up parked on the asphalt and state cop sitting behind the trees waiting for vandals to show up. I thought about using the wet field for a bit and drove over and checked it out. It was usable so I got in 3 flights. The new handle works well as best I can tell. It took about an hour of hacksaw and file work to cut it out and make the handle. I took a quick trip to the Brooklyn field and it is still 100% covered in snow. I'll check on it today in a while. With the time change I can go to the school after hours.

No comments: