Sunday, December 29, 2013

Just before it rained.

  The winds were minimal so we headed to the field to test the latest tweakings. I sealed the hinge gaps, widened the handle spacing to 5 inches, set the flaps even and lowered the nitro % to about 5.  Still trying to master the video portion of the camera. I'm thinking set it on manual focus as it wants to loose focus or not focus on automatic.
  The lower nitro made me turn the needle in a turn to get the rpm back to 7850. That proved to be too much so on the second flight, shown here, I slowed it down to 7700. I like that better. I also timed the run on 3 ounces of the fuel and got 3 minutes 59 seconds. So 5 ounces should get me close to 7 minutes which is plenty for the pattern. I can cut down to fine tune the run to complete the pattern and an extra 7 laps. I did at least one of each maneuver almost. I wanted to see how it felt doing the pattern and under no wind conditions it went fine. Now I know why everyone raves about the Super Tigre .60 engine.
  After the second flight we packed up and on the way home it started to sprinkle so we planned it perfectly.
  I built the engine crutch for the Legacy the other day and got what balsa I had together and found two pieces for the fuselage sides. I had to ad 2 inches to the tail end and drew the fuselage shape on one. I tried to order a rib set from Brodak online but couldn't. I'll give them a call Monday. That will save me a lot of trouble.
  When I checked the forums this morning I found that the designer of the Legacy had died of a heart attack. Bummer. Alan Brickhaus has several designs to his credit a couple have been kitted by Brodak the Legacy 40 included. He was the c/d of the fly in for many years too.

No comments: