Monday, December 30, 2013

Making a kit.

I scrounged around and found enough wood to make the stabilizer and elevators for the Legacy. I noticed a fat line on the plans and being unlabeled I figured it was 1/32 ply running across the stab trailing edge. It built up and this piece stiffens the assembly a lot. Good to know after having the stab on the P-63 fold up this past summer. The elevators are solid 1/4" sheet and I had a piece of hard balsa just big enough for the job.  Today the balsa order came in from National Balsa so I grabbed a sheet of 1/4" and cut the flaps out and made the hinge pocket assembly for the flaps and cut the end shape. The fin/rudder says 3/8" tapering to 1/8 at the top. I used 3/16 for the whole thing. I got the 1/32 and 1/64 ply fuselage doublers roughed out but can't go any further until the rib set from Brodak comes in. I ordered the control horns and the instruction booklet too. The designer makes the flaps and elevators like I do. Flat sheets rounded a bit at the trailing edges. No carving and sanding a taper in the parts. A lot easier to get the control horns in perfectly aligning the parts also.
  The Bearcat has been fiberglassed successfully. It layed down flat all over. I have to start covering the wings and stab. so I can start priming and sanding. I bought a pilot figure for it but the scale is off. It's too big for the model. I'll have to get another.
  My older brother called this morning. It seems that 'his' sister borrowed his pump log splitter. She figured she would keep my younger brother busy and have him split the wood with it. That was against my older brother's wishes. younger brother managed to break the log splitter and bend the pump handle about 30 degrees off straight. Not to mention straightening out the return spring. And then when he left he ran over her "somebodys in the yard" detection system rendering that useless also. And he don't drink. The kid could break a crow bar in a sand box. I figure he's our uncle Si. Older brother brought the broken parts over and I welded them back together.

No comments: