Monday, June 19, 2017

Couldn't wait.

It was taking a long time for the fiberglass cloth to arrive so I called Hobby King. I found that the order was in a building helping to fill a container in Hong Kong. With that bit of news I took out the scraps of fiberglass cloth I have on hand and found enough to cover the rebuilt Strega. Today I checked on the order and it's listed as having left the origin country. Too late. I checked on the wheels that I ordered June 2nd and they should be here this Wednesday. The engine and bearings should be here by Friday. Free shipping when they feel like shipping it.
  I mixed some 10% nitro fuel that has 22% oil with the fuel I've been using in the Evo .60 as it only has 16% oil which is quite low. As I suspected the engine ran much better with the increased oil content. I figure by mixing the fuels 50/50 I ended up with 19% oil. I had to increase the fuel load by a half ounce to get all the maneuvers in with a cushion just in case. I'm thinking that the low oil fuel has less than the advertised 10% nitro as I had to open the needle valve with the mix. That accounts for the extra half ounce of fuel to complete the pattern. Anyway it ran well. At home I was cleaning it off and noticed that the epoxy/micro balloons fillets were separating from the wing/fuselage joint. I moved one side fillet away from the joint and found that I could move the nose side to side a little. I had always used the fillets as the final glue joint and they have always held. This time the original wing failed in flight and I built a new wing and installed it in the usual way. I figure I didn't clean the fuselage good enough and the fillet didn't get pushed into the gap which caused the fillet to come loose and the nose to wiggle. I forced some super glue into the joint on both sides and then put the fillet back in place. That should hole it for a while.
  The temperature was low enough for me to get in a flight with the Shark 610 with the .40 size engine. That didn't go well so I removed the .40 and put one of the .46 engines on. I've been swapping back and forth for a while but this time I'll stay with the .46. The .40 just doesn't have the power needed to pull this size plane with authority.

No comments: